I’ve been working a little bit on a quilt I want to make. I don’t know what the block is called, or if it even has a name, but I like it. I also wanted to play with these certain colors (very different color scheme for me)
I made some sample blocks first so I could work out my measurements and how to use the 15 degree ruler. When I was ready to cut into the “real” fabric and made these 2 blocks ( all Moda Bella Solids)
I’m really going to like it. I think they look like spokes. I got these 2 blocks out of 1 strip set. I still need to figure out how to cut these down to make a hexagon so I can avoid applique. My plan is to get all the strip sets sewn and cut so I can work on putting it together during a quilting retreat with my friends in a few weeks.
I haven’t worked on the Prism quilt since I last showed you the progress, so nothing new to show you on that one. I’ve been busy with client quilts, and hopefully I’ll be able to show a few pictures of those soon.
I started working on my next project. I’m going to make this pattern Prism by Zen Chic. Look at all that wonderful quilting space! I got it as a downloadable pattern from Pink Chalk Fabrics. This pattern only needs 1 layer cake, so I ordered Botanics from Fat Quarter Shop. I want this quilt for my guest room, so I want it to be a bit sophisticated (just a little) and gender neutral. There’s a couple of pieces in the layer cake that I didn’t like, but I was able to replace those. This is what my pallet looks like There were a few things that I wasn’t crazy about with this pattern. This is a paper pieced pattern, and the blocks are around 9 1/2″. This means for each block, you have to print 2 parts (paper is only 8 1/2″). With 44 blocks, this was 88 pieces of paper being printed. That’s a LOT for such a simple pattern. Anyone who knows me knows I hate to waste. But I sucked it up, and moved on. I trimmed the extra paper before I taped each block together To get the pieces to line up properly, I use a light under my acrylic extension as a light box. This pattern also calls for using a template to cut the shapes. I feel that this makes for too much fabric waste (again with the waste!). Look at all that unused fabric! Don’t worry, I’m saving the bigger pieces. I’ll find some way to use it. I put a piece of double-stick tape on the back of the template to hold it in place and I was able to easily cut 6 layers (a fresh blade made this easier). I used my cutting ruler to make it easy to cut with my rotary cutter and not cut into the template plastic. I didn’t get very far with the cutting yesterday. So I hope I can squeeze some time today to get more of that done. The piecing will be pretty simple and straight forward. I really like the design of the quilt, and I look forward to seeing this all come together.
Next up for quilting is a Quilt of Valor. I’ve been quilting quilts for this organization for over 8 years. I’m fortunate to work with a woman in the Portland area, who makes nice tops. I’ll share pictures when that’s done.
Look at these adorable Yarn Coccoons They are hand knitted an felted. They’re used to hold your ball or skein of yarn so that while your knitting, it stays in control. Look at how creative you can be with the colors. You can get this pattern at Ravelry.com here. My sister, Cindy, designed these and wrote up the pattern so you can make your own. So go to her Ravelry store, and let your imagination go wild!
Here’s a sneak peek at how the quilting is coming along on the Feathers quilt. I’m really liking it!